Friday, October 9, 2009

Real Food Vs Fake Food

When I was a little kid my family and I use to have vegetable garden. It was a really neat experience to have. However, as time went on my brothers started to get older and head off to college. This meant that we had less time and people to manage the garden. We kept it going after the first two left, but by the time my third brother left the vegetable garden was no more. When I when I think back to it now I really miss it, for two reasons. One, it was something that my whole family got involved in. It was a great family bonding experience to be working out in the garden with my dad and brothers. The other reason is I really miss the fresh vegetables.

Just because the garden was no more did not mean are need to consume vegetables was. We started to get the majority of our vegetables via frozen in bags, or stored in cans. I greatly preferred the frozen vegetables to the canned, but I still preferred fresh vegetables frozen any time. Also just to clear this up, this did not mean we completely stopped eating fresh vegetables. We would still buy fresh produce from the store, and go to farmers market on the occasional weekend. I mean there is just something about eating fresh produce over processed that is better.

The frozen food and canned food just never tasted or felt(texture) right. The frozen food never fully realized the flavor that it was meant to have. The canned vegetables were soggy and all ways salty. So I thought if they don't taste or even fully seem like the original unprocessed food, are they as nutritious? So I looked up to see if they were and what I found really kind of shocked me.

I was excepting to find studies bashing frozen foods and saying how on nutritionally sound they were; however, that was not the case. What I did find was a study showing that only a minuscule amount of vitamin c was lost in the act of processing, other then that they maintained their nutritional value. You can find the study at the following link http://nutrican.fshn.uiuc.edu/findings.html

This how ever does not change my view on preferring fresh to frozen. I fully intend on having a garden of my own someday.

No comments:

Post a Comment